Sunday, April 25, 2010

More scratchings


So here are a couple more. I seem to be obsessed with primal faces. I guess this comes from a few "places". One is rooted in childhood memories of walks through museums like The Met in New York. The art work that always had the biggest impact on me was the tribal or ethnic pieces. Without being able to articulate or even understand the attraction, I still felt the immediacy and powerful presence of art from Africa and Oceania. The other would be my great love for the following artists: Pablo Picasso, Keith Haring and foremost, Jean-Michel Basquiat. Jean-Michel's art hit me early and powerfully. The line, color and intensity of his paintings seemed to seep into my soul and take root. Drawing is an automatic for me. By that I mean that it just is. How to explain that? I've never taken a single art class (obviously from my lack of technical ability!) and yet for many a year I have found myself filling sketchbooks with images weekly if not daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment